Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Lovely Noticeboard!

Well hello there, hope you are all having a lovely week. I decided a few days ago that for this weeks creation I needed to make something lovely - but practical! As I just finished writing another one of my many to-do lists and began to search for some blue-tack to stick it somewhere, I got an epiphany: I would make a noticeboard!



They really are just the handiest things ever! Of course I wasn't planning on making it from scratch with cork and all that, no I would just buy one of those old plain looking things and make it look lovely! I remembered seeing something similar done in a book before.




So here's how I did it...

What you will need:

Craft Glue
Cheap framed noticeboard
Piece of fabric (same size as notice board)
Ribbon (I used about 5 or 6 metres)
Scissors
Drawing Pins



Okay so first of all; make sure you have everything!

Now cut your material so that it is the same size as the noticeboard. Then, you don't have to, but I ironed my material just to make sure it wouldn't look creased.

Once you have your material cut, spread a thin layer of craft glue all over the cork board.



Then cover the board with your piece of material. Use the palms of your hands to smooth the fabric out, working from the centre of the board outwards.




Next cut strips of ribbon to run diagonally across the board in both directions, crossing at right angles. Push the ends of the ribbon under the frame and add a small dab of glue to hold in place.




Push a drawing pin into the noticeboard at each point where the ribbons cross over.



You can also cut a further 4 lengths of ribbon to pin around the inside of the noticeboard frame. That's what I did and I think it makes it look more complete.




So here it is! I really like it - I feel more organised already!




And it was quite enjoyable to make. Has anyone any other ideas on how to pretty up boring looking things? I was inspired to make this from something I saw in Kirstie Allsopp's book Kirstie's Homemade Home. I love her!


2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely Clare!

    I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure I have the ribbon control required!

    Loving the blog though! It's just like Make and Do with Mary for me now I'm all grown up...

    I've been saving my kitchen roll inserts and washing up liquid bottles for just such an eventuality...what's up next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! Ha ha I used to love that Make & Do show - what ever happened to that?! Hmmm, I'll have to think of something lovely to make with old washing up liquid bottles now!!

    Next up I think I'll try something new to cook - I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete